Tuesday, October 13, 2020

1943 SPLIT, Forgeries

If you read my article in the Acta Philatelica Nova 2015, you could see that I did not pay much attention to forgeries - this is because they are practically non-existent on the market. In the meantime, I saw one complete set that was amateurishly forged and one attempt to falsify the letter. Recently I have been asked for an opinion about the inverted overprints you can see below. 

1943 Split local issue for Dalmatia, forgeries of inverted overprint. Note that none of these values could exist with inverted overprint.

Of course, these are fakes, but they are not so amateur. At first glance, the overprint looks fine; however, the size is slightly smaller, and the properties of the individual letters are changed. Unfortunately, I only had scans, so I can not describe the other features I could see if I had stamps in my hands.

All stamps have "KRISCHKE BPP" expert mark on the back, which is also forged.