Tuesday, January 15, 2019

1943 Letter from/to the concentration camp

Despite the fact that I do not collect concentration camps (yet?), I was attracted by a very interesting letter sent from the concentration camp Arbe to the concentration camp Asolo. I do not know whether this is rare or not, but I have not seen anything like this until now...

 
1943 WWII Civilian internees, letter sent from the concentration camp Arbe, Fiume (21.9.43) to the concentration camp Asolo, Treviso (29.9.43), censored by Italian and German censors. 

This is a very interesting letter also from the perspective of the period since it was sent after the capitulation of Italy. Concentration camp Arbe was disbanded on 11.9.1943, but it is known that all internees were not freed at that time. In particular, the Jews who were later deported by German forces to the Auschwitz. In addition, I do not know if the date "21 SET 1943" was stamped when the letter was sent or when it was somewhere in the transit. I have to check this...